|Programme Duration:||4 years – full-time studies|
|Programme Workload:||160 CP / 240 ECTS CP|
|Admission Requirements:||document certifying secondary education|
|Obtainable Qualification:||Software Engineer|
|Obtainable Degree:||Professional Bachelor’s Degree in Information Technologies|
|Place of the Programme Implementation:||Daugavpils University, 1 Parādes Street|
|Forms of the Programme Implementation:||full-time studies, part-time studies|
|Programme Director:||Lecturer, Mag.paed. Ieva Boļakova|
The aim of the DU Professional Bachelor’s Study Programme “Information Technologies” is to provide professional studies that meet Latvian and European economical, cultural and social needs, are based on theoretical background of various IT branches, correspond to standard of software engineer profession and are practically applicable.
Tasks to ensure reaching this aim are:
- to educate specialists in the branch of information technologies necessary for state economy and security, by helping them acquire the 5th level professional qualification, and to promote their competitiveness under the changing socio-economical conditions and in the international labour market;
- implement a deeper knowledge acquisition in the branch of information technologies (including independent learning skills) which allow elaborating of new systems, products and technologies or improve the existing ones and which prepare for creative, research and pedagogical activity in the branch of IT
Specific tasks of the Study Programme are the following:
- provide theoretical knowledge and practical skills required for specialists in computer science;
- teach students skills of independent practical work and integration of different scientific and theoretical knowledge into practice;
- encourage students to analyse the gained experience and to individually and independently acquire new knowledge
After graduation students should be able to:
- independently choose adequate software products, tools and methods to solve problems;
- understand and use at professional level programming languages, systems and tools;
- use database management systems;
- participate in project elaboration and management and give consultations in the field of information technology management;
- work collectively, lead, plan and coordinate group work.
Knowledge: Able to demonstrate basic and specialized knowledge and understanding of the most significant concepts and regularities characteristic to the branch information technologies and the profession of software engineer.
Skills: Students are able to:
- organize their independent work;
- formulate and describe analytically the obtained information, problems and solutions of the software engineer profession;
- explain and provide arguments for the offered solutions in discussion with both specialists and non-specialists;
- work in a team or manage the work of others;
- find creative solutions in changeable and unclear conditions.
Competence: Students can independently
- obtain, select and analyze information and make use of it;
- define and solve strategically and analytically the problems of information technologies;
- notice the potential use of information technologies in other branches of science;
- assess the effect of one’s own professional activity on environment and society, and take part in the development of the sphere of IT.