|Programme Duration:||3 academic years|
|Programme Workload:||120 CP / 180 ECTS CP|
|Admission Requirements:||master’s degree in biology or equivalent higher education,
discussion in the chosen subject area in Biology
|Obtainable Degree:||Doctor of Biology|
|Place of the Programme Implementation:||Daugavpils University, 13 Vienības Street, 1 Parādes Street|
|Forms of the Programme Implementation:||full-time studies|
|Programme Director:||Professor, Dr. biol. Arvīds Barševskis|
The aim of the study programme: highly qualified specialist’s preparation of the biological scientist who is able to move forward and solve the main problems in contemporary biology.
The tasks of the study programme:
- today’s appropriate level of knowledge for students studying in the biology study programme ;
- development of modern research methodology in biology, which allows the student to research the specific problems of biology sub-sectors.
- students’practice in scientific and education work;
- students’ participation in DU and other Latvian or foreign scientific institutions’ reseach , systematic participation in scientific conferences, publications in recognized international biology journals, that reflects the results of study;
- creation of optimal conditions for doctoral students for implementation of set tasks, for libraries and museum activities, research institutions in Latvia and abroad, participation in other higher education institutions’ scientific conferences, opportunities to intern in appropriate capacity in the universities abroad;
- provide conditions for doctoral thesis preparation and defence.
As a result of the programme’s acquisition, the graduate will acquire and be able to demonstrate:
Program students know and understand the most current scientific theories and methods in biology, manage modern research methodology, and research methods of modern biology in different sub-branches.
In the course of the programme, students are able to independently evaluate and choose appropriate methods of scientific research, make a contribution to knowledge frontier expansion or give a new understanding of existing knowledge and their applications in practice, the implementation of a significant amount of original research, some of which is internationally quoted in publications. Students are capable in both oral and written communication of their scientific scope to the broader scientific community and society as a whole. They are able to independently improve their scientific skills, implement scientific projects, gaining international science qualifying achievements.
Students are able, through an independent, critical analysis, synthesis and evaluation, to solve significant research or innovation tasks. They independently put forward the research idea, plan and structure, and manage large-scale scientific projects, including those in an international context.
Doctoral students of the study programme “Biology” are offered:
- during their studies to acquire the most significant theoretical findings, as well as to choose the specialization and to profoundly study the sub-disciplines of Biology – Zoology and Ecology;
- to acquire knowledge on the methodology of contemporary research in Biology that allows for investigation of problems of a definite sub-discipline (Zoology or Ecology);
- due to theoretical knowledge and practical skills acquired, to ensure the development and defence of their Doctoral Theses.
Doctoral students have possibilities:
- to study under the guidance of professional and experienced university lecturers;
- to do research at 18 specialized laboratories The Institute of Systematic Biology, The Institute of Ecology and G.Libert’s Innovative Microscopy Centre;
- to participate in international student exchange programmes and study at higher educational establishments abroad;
- to publish their articles in the scientific journals published by the DU Institute of Systematic Biology „Baltic Journal of Coleopterology“ and „Acta biologica universitatis Daugavpiliensis“, which are indexed in the leading international index-centres;
- to participate in different international scientific conferences in Biology;
- to participate in different research projects;
- to receive scholarship if the student studies for the state budget means;
- to become a proficient (knowledgeable and competitive) specialist in the scientific discipline of Biology.