|Programme Duration:||2 academic years|
|Programme Workload:||80 CP / 120 ECTS CP|
|Admission Requirements:||bachelor’s degree in biology and medicine, or
environmental science, or
2nd level higher professional education in biology, medicine, pharmacy or
|Obtainable Degree:||Master of Natural Sciences in Biology|
|Place of the Programme Implementation:||Daugavpils University, 13 Vienības Street, 1 Parādes Street|
|Forms of the Programme Implementation:||full-time studies|
|Programme Director:||Professor, Dr. biol. Artūrs Škute|
The aims of the academic master’s study programme in biology:
- on the basis of the bachelor’s study programme, to prepare high level specialists in the sphere of biology with deep theoretical knowledge and practical skills who are capable of independent decision making and creative scientific research;
- to provide opportunities for students to prepare for continuing their academic education at Daugavpils University or other universities in Latvia or abroad.
The tasks of the academic master’s study programme in biology:
- to deepen students’ skills and competences in research work in natural sciences;
- to provide deeper knowledge in courses of general biology and those related to the specificity of the respective biology sub branch;
- to develop students’ skills in information processing in the contemporary world and using information Technologies in natural sciences;
- to promote master students’ competitiveness both in their later doctoral studies and working in education, research, environment administration or nature protection institutions.
In the course of programme acquisition, students build up and deepen their existing knowledge, skills, and competence in biology.
The programme envisages deeper acquisition of theoretical and practical knowledge in biology and its sub branches. As a result of successful completion of the study programme and mastering the content of the study courses, students will demonstrate their understanding of the general regularities of the functioning and development of biological systems at all levels of life organizations as well as of the topical contemporary global and local problems in biology and the possible solutions.
In the course of programme acquisition, students acquire academic and professional competences that are reflected in their skills. Completion of the study programme and acquisition of its study courses are based on the existing social, communicative, and educating skills acquired in bachelor studies and simultaneously facilitate improvement of the existing skills and development of new and more complicated ones. Participating in the practical and laboratory works within the study programme and producing research under the supervision of the academic staff and summarizing its results in master’s theses, students, by applying various research methods, master the research methodology in biology, skills of planning and carrying out laboratory, experimental, instrumental research and observations in nature, skill of critical assessment of the gained results, producing data statistical analysis and interpretation, skill of presenting and publicly defending their research results, etc. The gained skills guarantee the compliance of students with the demands of the labour market in the particular branch and their future ability to work as employees in research, management, or organizational spheres in state institutions or private enterprises related to biology and research.
Successful completion of the academic and research work of the study programme is impossible without cooperation with the academic staff involved in the study programme implementation and fellow students as well as without deeper insights into the problems of sustainable rational use of biological resources. Hence, generally human attitudes and academic competences are consolidated, simultaneously particularizing the competences related to the science of biology, forming an awareness and understanding of nature protection and preservation.