The Council of a state founded university is a collegial supreme decision-making body of a state founded university, which is responsible for the sustainable development, strategic and financial supervision of a state founded university, as well as for ensuring the activities of a state founded university in accordance with the objectives set out in its development strategy.
Requirements for candidates:
- Compliance with the requirements set out in Section 14.1 (10), (11) and (12) of the Law on Higher Education Institutions
- Higher education attained to the highest level of education according to the Latvian Classification of Education (excluding the first level of vocational higher education), which provides the necessary knowledge and competencies for the professional performance of the duties of a member of a university’s Council.
- Impeccable reputation (a candidate is considered impeccable in the absence of evidence to the contrary, and there is no reasonable doubt about their impeccable reputation).
- Work experience that provides the necessary set of skills for the professional performance of the duties of a member of the Daugavpils University`s Council:
- at least five years’ experience in management or other senior managerial positions in an organisation (please indicate in your application documents relevant experience that demonstrates this);
- practical experience of working in a strategic or managerial role in an organisation (please indicate in your application documents relevant experience that demonstrates this);
- Professional experience in the following areas (please indicate in your application documents relevant experience that demonstrates this):
- professional experience in financial management and auditing;
- professional experience in risk management and the internal control system;
- professional experience in international cooperation;
- professional experience in in healthcare, industry collaboration or engineering.
- Managerial experience in the following areas (please indicate in your application documents relevant experience that demonstrates this):
- managerial experience in networking, including higher education and labour market cooperation;
- managerial experience in team and stakeholder management.
- Change management experience;
- Understanding of trends in higher education and science in Latvia and worldwide;
- Understanding necessary for the strategic management of a university;
- Presentation skills (using digital technologies);
- Communication and argumentation skills;
- English language proficiency at level B2 according to the Common European Framework of Reference for Languages: https://europa.eu/europass/lv/common-european-framework-reference (please indicate your self-assessed level of English in your application documents).
Candidates will be assessed on the following competencies: strategic vision (critical competence), change management, orientation to results (critical competence), development orientation, planning and organising, decision-making and responsibility, building and maintaining positive relationships, team leadership.
The highest-ranking candidate will be nominated to the Latvian Cabinet of Ministers for approval at the end of the selection process.
The competence of a university’s Council is defined in Article 14² of the Law on Higher Education Institutions, available at https://likumi.lv/ta/id/37967#p14_2.
Monthly remuneration: per Section 14.1 (16) of the Law on Higher Education Institutions, the remuneration of the members of the Council is determined by the average remuneration level of the academic staff of the Daugavpils University – the monthly remuneration of a member of the Council is equal to the average remuneration level of the academic staff in the previous year – 1401 EUR gross. Meetings of the Daugavpils University`s Council are planned indicatively once a month.
Application documents to be submitted:
- a declaration of consent by the physical person to participate in the selection, if the application is submitted by a representative of the society (natural person, public, non-governmental, private sector institution or organisation, as well as an institution or organisation of a candidate nominated by the society as defined in the Law on Higher Education Institutions);
- a motivated letter of application, in which we ask:
- To include information attesting to the professional and managerial experience referred to in the advertisement, indicating the period during which the experience was acquired (if the letter of application does not describe the experience required for the post, the selection board will consider that the candidate has no such experience);
- To include a statement of compliance with the requirements set out in Section 14.1 (10), (11) and (12) of the Law on Higher Education Institutions.
- Curriculum Vitae, including a self-assessment of the candidate’s level of Latvian and English, and contact details (e-mail address, telephone number);
- copies of the documents attesting to the candidate’s higher educational qualifications.
Candidates should apply until 28 February 2021 (including) by sending the documents to the e-mail address email@example.com with the reference “Member of the Daugavpils University`s Council”.
Please note that the selection will be made in 3 rounds as follows:
- Round 1 will consist of an assessment of the relevance of the documents submitted by the candidates and the content of the information provided in the application letter;
- Candidates who have made it to Round 2 will be invited to an interview, during which the selection committee will assess the candidate’s suitability to work in the Daugavpils University`s Council, as well as candidates who will be promoted to Round 2 will be asked to submit a vision in the form of a presentation on higher education and science development trends in Latvia and internationally, as well as on the priorities of the Daugavpils University;
- Candidates shortlisted for Round 3 will be assessed on their competencies in the defined areas of experience.
Based on Article 13 of Regulation (EU) 2016/679 of the European Parliament and the Council on the protection of physical persons concerning the processing of personal data and on the free movement of such data and repealing Directive 95/46/EC (General Data Protection Regulation), the Latvian Ministry of Education and Science informs, that:
- The personal data provided in the candidate’s application documents will be processed for this selection and nomination;
- The processing of the candidate’s personal data is carried out by the Latvian Ministry of Education and Science (taxpayer registration No 90000022399), contact address: 2 Vaļņu Street, Rīga, LV-1050.
For enquiries: phone +371 67047949 or +371 67785689, e-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org.