|Programme Duration:||3 years full-time studies
4 years part-time studies
|Programme Workload:||120 CP / 180 ECTS CP|
|Admission Requirements:||Master’s degree in Pedagogy or an equivalent academic degree;
Project of the Doctoral Thesis and discussion on it;
examination in a foreign language (English, German, French, or Russian*)
*if Russian is not an applicant’s mother tongue
|Obtainable Degree:||Doctor of Pedagogy|
|Place of the Programme Implementation:||Daugavpils University, 1 Parādes Street|
|Forms of the Programme Implementation:||full-time studies, part-time studies|
|Programme Director:||Professor, Dr.paed. Ilga Salīte|
The multi-levelled aim contexts of the doctoral study programme:
- in the context of the global, European Union and Latvian society’s strategic development – reorientation of science and education to sustainable education [the aim of the UNO Decade of Education for Sustainable Development, the conclusions by the Council of the European Union on education for sustainable development and Latvia 2030 (strategic development plan)].
- in the Daugavpils University context the general aim of the doctoral study programme is to provide an opportunity for obtaining an internationally comparable doctoral degree in scientific branches represented at DU and to acquire the principles of organisation and management of study and research work.
- in the context of the development of the science of pedagogy the specific aim of doctoral studies in pedagogy is to prepare highly qualified scientists in pedagogy for Latvian and foreign higher education institutions, which can promote the development of education.
The current specific aim of the Daugavpils University doctoral study programme in pedagogy:
- preparation of specialists with the highest qualification for a researcher’s career, by involving doctoral students in research activity which promotes development of sustainable development oriented research skills and researcher’s identity that the young researcher confirms with the results of his/her doctoral thesis which are offered for a sustainable development of pedagogy and education.
Objectives of the study programme:
(1) offer doctoral students a chance to get involved in implementation of the research programme of the Institute of Sustainable Education the aim of which is creation and implementation of the theory of sustainable education in Latvian education in the practice of higher education, school and branch pedagogy,
(2) offer doctoral students opportunities to create new knowledge and approbate their research results on an international level, by getting involved in international cooperation networks to enable complementation of doctoral students’ local scientific research with the global context of educational research,
(3) offer doctoral students a chance to conduct independent scientific research in the chosen sub-branch of pedagogy and defend the research results in the doctoral thesis that would promote development of pedagogy in Latvia and in Europe.
As a result of the programme’s acquisition, the young scientist will acquire and be able to demonstrate:
Knowledge (knowledge and understanding) – is able to demonstrate that knowledge and understanding of the most topical scientific theories and conclusions, has mastered research methodology and current research methods in the respective scientific branch or professional sphere and in the confluence of various spheres.
Skills (ability to apply knowledge, communication, general skills) – is able independently to evaluate and choose methods that are adequate for scientific research, has contributed to broadening of the boundaries of knowledge or has offered a new understanding of the existing knowledge and its practical application, by conducting an original research of a considerable scale, part of which is on the level of internationally quotable publications. Is able orally and in writing to communicate about own sphere of scientific activity (their branch) with a wide scientific community and society at large. Is able independently to raise own scientific qualification, implement scientific projects and achieve results that meet international criteria of the respective scientific branch, manage research or developmental tasks in enterprises, institutions and organisations where wide research knowledge and skills are required.
Competences (analysis, synthesis and evaluation) – by performing independent critical analysis, synthesis and evaluation, is able to solve significant research or innovative tasks, independently propose a research idea, plan, structure and manage large-scale scientific projects, including those of an international context.
The programme is implemented at Institute of Sustainable Education (ISE) http://ise-lv.eu/
Institute has a unique environment, in which Doctoral students of Pedagogy are invited to participate in research and thus enlarge their knowledge in Pedagogy, and to work out original research.
Doctoral students have possibilities:
- to publish their articles in ISE journal “Journal of Teacher Education for Sustainability” and the collection of research articles “Education & Sustainable Development: First Steps Towards Changes”;
- to participate in annual scientific conferences “Sustainable Development. Culture. Education”, which every year is hosted by another country (Tallinn University 2004, University of Fechta 2005, Helsinki University 2006, University of Debrecen 2007, Anadolu University 2008, Daugavpils University 2009, Paris 2010, Siauliai 2011 );
- to participate in the educational research carried out by the Baltic and Black sea Circle Consortium (BBCC) developed in the framework of ISE.
The Doctoral study programme in Pedagogy is an integral part of the Institute of Sustainable Education. In 2009 the Institute’s experience was acknowledged as one of the five best experiences in European and North American region, as well as proposed for the world exhibition in Bonn. The address of Bonn World Conference and exhibition is: ‘ESD projects Exhibition’ and DU ISE project “ISE: Building the capacity for international partnership, Latvia and international” http://www.esd-world-conference-2009.org/en/home.html.