Department of Pedagogy and Pedagogical Psychology
1 Parādes Street, Room 221
Phone: +371 654 71552
Department of Pedagogy and Pedagogical Psychology (DPPP) was created as a structural unit of the Faculty of Education and Management on August 30, 2006 by joining the departments of pedagogy and pedagogical psychology.
Currently DPPP is responsible for the implementation of 5 study programmes:
- Professional higher education Master’s study programme “Community and Establishment Administration” ,
- Professional higher education Mater’s study programme “Educational Psychologist”,
- Professional higher education Mater’s study programme “Career Counsellor and Youth Affairs Specialist”,
- Professional higher education Bachelor’s study programme “Teacher”,
- Doctoral study programme “Management Sciences”.
Academic staff of DPPP conducts research in the following basic areas:
- sustainable education (pedagogical and psychological aspects in the context of holistic approach);
- reorientation of teacher education towards sustainable development;
- content integration of general didactics and subject methods;
- giftedness studies;
- issues of music pedagogy;
- use of qualitative and quantitative methods in educational research;
- studies of management science;
- studies of professional identity.
DPPP publishes an international scientific journal Problems in Music Pedagogy (two issues per year).
Academic staff of DPPP takes active participation in the implementation of various international and local projects:
- “Continuing education of general education teachers”;
- “Innovative and practice-based teacher education and mentors’ professional development”;
- “Increasing the competence of general education subjects teachers involved in vocational education”;
- “Continuing education of general education teachers” No.2010/0062/1DP/184.108.40.206.3./09/IPIA/VIAA/003, project registration number in the University of Latvia VISC 2010/91 ESF, teachers’ continuing education programme “Development of professional competences and renewal of skills among directors of educational institutions”;
- “Continuing education of general education teachers” No.2010/0062/1DP/220.127.116.11.3./09/IPIA/VIAA/003, project registration number in the University of Latvia VISC 2010/91 ESF, teachers’ continuing education programme “Development of teachers’ competences of working with talented and gifted children” No. 17.3.-04/2010/91/-41;
- “Provision of career education programmes in the system of education”;
- European Union programme “Youth in Action” project A 1.3 DE-13-3-2010-R1 “Partizipative Demokratie für Migrantenjugendliche: Einstieg ins Netzwerk – MIGWERK” (Germany);
- COMENIUS multilateral project “Inspire School Education by Non-formal Learning. Renewable Energy Climate Sustainable Development”.Projects by the Ministry of Education and Science:
- No. 08/73 “Evaluation and development opportunities of compulsory preschool and primary school education”;
- “Career development support in a regional university for promoting sustainable development and employment”;
- Creation of support material “Diagnostics of the reaching of learning outcomes by six- to seven-year-old children”, D No. VISC 2011/220
Academic staff of DPPP are engaged in successful cooperation with the Association for the Advancement of Baltic Studies, Latvian Sport Psychology Association, Association of Teacher Educators in Europe, International Society of Music Education, World Council for Gifted and Talented Children, European Council for High Ability, BBCC consortium, Latvian Professors Association, EuroPsy Latvian National Committee.
Member of DU professors council in pedagogy:
Members of DU promotion councils:
in pedagogy – professor J.Davidova;
in psychology – associated professor I.Kokina.
Experts of Latvian Council of Sciences:
Associated professor I.Kokina;
Academic staff of DPPP are active participants in the organisation and management of different professional development courses for university lecturers, school teachers, the unemployed and other interested parties both in Latvia and abroad.